Center for Critical Thinking
Our community members advance and foster basic concepts and principles in critical thinking. Read some of these principles here.
- Access to the entire online library published by the foundation for critical thinking.
- Digital access to all the educational materials published by the foundation for critical thinking - including posters, and laminated cards you may freely print and use.
- Digital access to the entire thinkers guide library published by the foundation for critical thinking.
- Digital access to videos and audio files produced by the foundation for critical thinking. This includes classic and rare video footage of Dr. Richard Paul, as well as video footage of other foundation for critical thinking fellows and scholars, including Dr. Linda Elder and Dr. Gerald Nosich.
- Get current critical thinking news every day in our newsroom. Comment on these articles, share them with your colleagues, and rate them according to level of clarity, significance, relevance, and depth.
- Read the active blog of Dr. Linda Elder and Dr. Gerald Nosich, senior scholars at the foundation for critical thinking.
- Through our conneCT section,
- Communicate and network with any member of the critical thinking café through our internal messaging system.
- Post your work products to share with your critical thinking colleagues.
- Post your critical thinking research.
- Highlight critical thinking articles from our newsroom that you believe to be significant.
- Set up your own exclusive Group of critical thinking colleagues, with whom you prefer to communicate.
- Choose departments to connect with, including professional departments.
- For educators, Post and Share your instructional design strategies and activities with your critical thinking education colleagues, and discuss your classroom trials and tribulations, victories and challenges.
- Access job postings in which employers are seeking employees who strive to be increasingly skilled critical thinkers.
- Join with close critical thinking colleagues to form book studies, which will be held online, in real time, and which you will customize according to your schedules. You will work in groups of six. Sign up in the book study section.
- Learn the foundational tools of critical thinking, as well as how to apply
these tools in everyday life and in the professions through our Academy.
These involve reading and working through written activities. For many of
our activities, we offer our specimen answers for you to read after working
through a given activity. You may print and share your work with colleagues,
friends, family members, and partners. Our workshop section includes:
- The wheel of reason (which teaches the elements or parts of thinking).
- Criteria corner (which teaches the universal standards or criteria for thinking).
- The wall barriers (which warns us to pay attention to the intrinsic problems of egocentric and associates of your thinking).
- The triangle of thinking, feeling, and the human will (which teaches the conceptual relationships between thoughts, emotions, and desires, and targets thinking as the fundamental key to emotional intelligence and a healthy emotional life).
- Reading and writing alcove (which teaches close reading and deep comprehension of any text worth reading; it also fosters and develops your writing abilities).
What We Do with Your Membership Fees
Your membership fees support the work of the foundation for critical thinking, which has been advancing and cultivating fairminded critical thinking in education and society for almost 40 years.
Your membership fees contribute to the following projects and events, among others, under the auspices of the foundation for critical thinking:
- Development and coordination of our annual international conference, which is the longest running annual conference on critical thinking in the world.
- Scholarships for deserving teachers and administrators to attend our annual international conference.
- Mailings of our thinkers guide to prisoners throughout the United States who request our work for their independent studies.
- Worldwide open Access to our research and assessment tools, as well as many other resources for outreach at criticalthinking.org, the official website of the foundation for critical thinking.
- The maintenance of the Foundation for Critical Thinking Archives, which expands beyond our 38 years, including personal intellectual writings of Dr. Richard Paul.
- The development of our audio and video library including classic audio and video footage from the Foundation for Critical Thinking archives. Much of this material has never been accessible to the public and will increasingly be made available exclusively at the critical thinking café.
- The development of our extensive and unique critical thinking library of print materials housed at the foundation for critical thinking.